Fresh Expressions Vision Day
15th April 2023 @ 09:30 am to 03:30 pm
2477 W Washington St, Springfield, Illinois, 62702, United States
The C/SIS New and Renewing Congregations Committee is sponsoring a Fresh Expressions Vision Day as a way for our synod congregations to expand their mission reach and deepen discipleship. If you haven’t yet heard about Fresh Expressions, keep reading and find out more at FreshExpressions.com/about and register now via the button below.
Fresh Expressions is a form of church for our changing culture established primarily for the benefit of people who are not yet part of any church. At its heart, Fresh Expressions is about two things:
- Proclaiming that established churches have a critical, if not central, role to play in God’s mission in our time.
- Empowering and equipping God’s people in every congregation to develop creative ways to reach the increasing diversity of our society.
A true movement of God begins with a sense of awe and wonder. So let us wonder. Where are the people we want to reach? Who are they? How do we work outside the walls of the church—but in partnership with the church to do so?
What does a Fresh Expression of church look like?
- Fresh Expressions are attentive to a micro-climate or environment — i.e., a group of people who share a similar interest, hobby, or meeting place.
- They consider “affinity” before geography. Think about social networks. You might have more in common with someone who lives 10 miles from you than you do with the person who lives next door.
- On the other hand, one might also think hyper-local: Those who live or work closest to you might be the right people for a Fresh Expression.
- Fresh Expressions are small-scale. Think 20-70 people: big enough to throw a party, but small enough to know everyone’s name.
- Fresh Expressions often meet in homes and neighborhood gathering spots.
What is Vision Day?
Vision Day is a great way to discover more about Fresh Expressions. In an interactive format, you will have the chance to:
- Hear how Fresh Expressions is renewing the church.
- Talk about the development of Fresh Expressions US.
- Learn more about the Mission-Shaped Church.
- Discover tools to start Fresh Expressions in our area.
Who is a Permission-Giver?
Permission-givers are often the pastors or church leaders who release the people in their congregation to do what they’re called to do. Permission-givers convene conversations about how the gifts of the various members best align with the needs of the community.
Who is a Pioneer?
Pioneers are mission entrepreneurs who have the stirrings to go beyond existing church communities to engage in life and ministry with people, fostering fresh expressions of church that connect with those outside of the inherited church. Pioneers are the everyday disciples of Jesus called to put their faith into action by coming alongside and gathering those in their circle of friends and neighbors who don’t go to church. They are often people who have a knack for starting something. They often have a holy thorn, or a nagging within them to do ministry in a different way.
Who is a Supporter?
Supporters are the people within the congregation that pray for and resource this work. They are a constant encouragement emotionally, spiritually, and sometimes financially to the work of fresh expressions within a church/larger denomination.