On Tuesday, May 21st the Southern Conference met at Peace Lutheran in Chester to learn more about the local Lutheran Braille Workers. After the presentation, we took a field trip to their office and helped finish a book. We all learned something new!! The local site in Chester has 7 groups that meet once a month for 2-2.5 hours. During each shift, they produce about 5-6 books. One book takes about 20 minutes to make. This is all volunteer and they raise their own funds. The books are given away free of charge as well as the shipping is FREE!!! It takes about $3500 a year to run the local site in Chester. The paper is their most expensive item to purchase.
- The Mission
- All people in the world who are blind or visually impaired will have free access to the Good News of Jesus Christ as Savior.
- The Vision
- Equipping and enabling people in sharing the Gospel with all individuals who are blind or visually impaired.
- The Team
- Providing the Word of God freely to people who are blind or visually impaired has been the focus of Lutheran Braille Workers since it was founded in 1943. The work has grown from producing titles in a single language to 30 languages, and the volunteer work force has grown from one volunteer working out of a shoebox in her home to more than 3000 volunteers in about 170 work centers across the United States!
- The Support
- Our publications are distributed free of charge in more than 130 countries around the globe. Volunteers, mission-minded financial partners, and prayer warriors assist LBW in helping people touch the promises of Jesus, delivering God’s Word in formats they can read for themselves.
- Braille Bibles
- Lutheran Braille Workers produces Braille Bibles in Amharic, Arabic, French, Indonesian, Kiswahili, Latvian, Malayalam, Russian, Spanish, and English Contracted Braille.
A Grade 2 Bible produced by Lutheran Braille Workers consists of 37 volumes embossed on durable 10 x 12 specialized, Braille paper with a production cost of $185 per set. Each Bible takes up 5 feet of shelf space and is lovingly produced by our volunteers. The Bibles are provided free of charge to readers who are Blind or Visually Impaired throughout the world. In addition to the Bible, LBW also offers a variety of other Christian books and pamphlets in multiple languages.
Ministry Production Center 165
St. John Lutheran Church
302 West Holmes Street Chester, IL 62233