8 Things Every Supply Pastor Needs to Know
- The date and time(s) of your worship service(s).
- Directions to the church building.
- The name of a host/contact person who will MEET the supply pastor (and
spouse) and provide assistance, as needed.
- Any special instructions prior to the worship service (such as, where to vest; where to meet the other service participants, etc.).
- Any special instructions regarding the worship service (such as, whether or not there is communion; which liturgical setting will be used, whether or not there is a children’s sermon, etc.). (You may wish to include a sample copy of a similar bulletin, including the scripture readings for that day.)
- Any special instructions regarding other non-worship functions (such as education classes).
- The amount of honorarium to be paid to the supply pastor plus the mileage reimbursement rate (you may wish to include the name of the treasurer). If at all possible, the supply pastor should receive a check from the congregation immediately following the last scheduled worship service.
- You may wish to ask the supply pastor to submit a brief biographical sketch for inclusion in the local newspapers as a means of inviting the wider community to come to the worship service(s) that day.
On behalf of the members of First Lutheran Church, we thank you for your willingness to preach at our congregation on Sunday, April 23, 2000. Our worship services are at 8:00 a.m. and 11:00 a.m. with Sunday School at 9:30 a.m. First
Lutheran is located 3 miles west of I-55 at exit 85B.
John Doe will be your host for the day. He will meet you at the church. You may vest in the sacristy. Normally, the service participants meet in the sacristy for prayer 5 minutes prior to each worship service. Please lead them in prayer.
On Sunday, April 23, the congregation will celebrate the Eucharist using LBW Setting II. You are responsible for all Presiding Ministers parts; the Assisting Minister and Lector will be responsible for all other parts. You may chant or speak the service; please let the organist know which you will do. As Presiding Minister, you will distribute the bread; the Assisting Minister and Acolyte will distribute the wine. Please commune the worship assistants first; then the Assisting Minister will give you communion.
Enclosed is a sample copy of the bulletin. The readings for the day will be:…… As you can see, there is also a Children’s Sermon, which Jane Smith will give. The Sunday School meets at 9:30 a.m. You have no responsibilities at that time, but you are welcome to attend the adult class, which meets in the sanctuary.
At the conclusion of the second worship service, you will receive a check from our treasurer, Joe Smith, for $150 for your services. Mileage is reimbursed at 31 cents/mile. Please be sure to tell Joe what your round-trip mileage is.
We would appreciate receiving a brief biographical sketch about you and your ministry at least two weeks prior to the day you are scheduled to preach. We publicize your arrival in the local newspapers as a means of inviting the wider community to attend our services.
Thanks again for your willingness to come and preach. If you need any further assistance, please do not hesitate to give me a call.